Jane Smith: Editor, Author and Librarian
I’m a Queensland-based qualified editor and librarian, and a published author.
As an author, I understand what a writer needs from an editor. I’ll treat your manuscript respectfully and communicate closely with you to ensure you end up with a work you’ll be proud of.
I’m a professional member of the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) with experience in editing fiction and non-fiction for adults and children, as well as master’s theses. Three of my books have been nominated for literary awards. I’ve contributed book reviews to Magpies Magazine and I have a sound knowledge of the book industry from the perspective of a writer, reviewer and editor.
Skills and experience
- Graduate Certificate in Editing and Publishing (USQ)
- Professional Member of IPEd
- Member of the Freelance Editors' Network
- Experienced in editing fiction, non-fiction and picture books
- Author of critically acclaimed books for children and adults, with over 10 years’ experience in the writing and publishing industry
- Qualified librarian (Graduate Diploma in Applied Science [Library and Information Management]) with 19 years’ experience in school, public and hospital libraries (that’s a lot of books read!)
- Experienced reviewer of children’s books, having contributed reviews to Magpies magazine since 2013.
Books I've written
When 276 British emigrants sail from Plymouth to Moreton Bay on the ship Emigrant in 1850, they know nothing of the ordeal that lies ahead.
Jane Smith, excellent historian that she is ... has added a rich vein to our understanding of the personal, individual legends of early white settlement in Queensland.
- Kerry O'Brien
The true story of one of Australia's most audacious bushrangers: a serial impostor, conman and murderer.
What a phenomenal true crime/who-dunnit!... It's an amazing true story of lies, deception, and surprising twists you won't forget!
– Karen Dustman, Goodreads.