Jane Smith: Editor, Author and Librarian
I’m a Queensland-based editor, author and librarian with a Graduate Certificate in Editing and Publishing from the University of Southern Queensland.
As a published author myself, I understand what a writer needs from an editor. I’ll treat your manuscript respectfully and communicate closely with you to ensure you end up with a work that you’ll be proud of.
I’m a member of the Institute of Professional Editors (iPed) and I have experience in editing fiction and non-fiction for adults and children, as well as master’s theses. Three of my books have been nominated for literary awards. I’ve contributed book reviews to Magpies Magazine and I have a sound knowledge of the book industry from the perspective of a writer, reviewer and editor.
Skills and experience
- Graduate Certificate in Editing and Publishing from USQ
- completed ‘Proofreading Progress’ (advanced course in proofreading) with the SfEP (UK’s Society for Editors and Proofreaders)
- proficient in the use of BSI (British Standards Institution) symbols on-screen and in hard copy, Adobe PDF commenting tools and Microsoft Word for editing and proofreading purposes
- experience in editing fiction, non-fiction and picture books
- author of critically acclaimed books for children and adults, with over 10 years’ experience in the writing and publishing industry
- qualified librarian (Graduate Diploma in Applied Science [Library and Information Management]) with 19 years’ experience in school, public and hospital libraries (that’s a lot of books read!)
- experienced reviewer of children’s books, having contributed reviews to Magpies magazine since 2013.